LEAHISM

What I see. What I hear. What I feel. What I do.

Welkom! Welcome! Selamat Datang!

Ik aanbiden deze blog in het Nederlands, Engels en Indonesisch. Ik hoop dat jij geniet ervan.

I serve this blog in Dutch, English, and Indonesian. I hope you enjoy it.

Aku menyuguhkan blog ini dalam Bahasa Belanda, Bahasa Inggris, dan Bahasa Indonesia.
Aku harap kamu menikmatinya.

Chrysophyllum Cainito

Today, when I was sitting in front my computer, my mom said that she had "Kenitu" for me. Then she came toward to me bringing one Kenitu on the small plate plus a spoon. It has been a long time I didn't eat this fruit which the tree grows in my (unofficially) backyard. The tree is big. Used to, there were two trees but now it's only one left. The gone one, in the past I like to play swing under the tree by using a long rope tied to its branch. For sitting, I put coco (coconut fruit's skin) on it. Voila, a nice shady and fresh air temporary playground under the tree. It was my favorite place to play when I was kid. Sometimes, I got my lunch too there. What a village kiddo!!!
Well, enough about my childhood memory. Then, I browsed about this fruit as I wasn't sure whether its name is Kenitu or Genitu. After browsing, now I'm sure that both name are correct. Chrysophyllum Cainito is the latin name. It even has a synonym as Achras caimito. Ahahaha... Gimme a break!!! The rumor says that this fruit is originally from East Java Province, especially from Jember where I studied bachelor International Relations. Beside Jember, it's also mentioned Kenitus only exist in Lumajang, Bondowoso and Situbondo. What?!?! Hello, I got it here in Banyuwangi also. Right here, in the back of my house! Pffff.... But yeah, it's also a rumor I guess. As in other place, we can find this fruit such as in Bandung, Banten and Jombang. Then, I would like to make a rumor. Is kenitu a Javanese fruit? Ahahaha.... But unfortunately Wikipedia mentioned contrastly. Chrysophyllum Cainito is a tropical tree, native to the lowlands of Central America and the West Indies.
I saw Kenitu picture on Resep Keluarga Cinta website (I used some recipes to cook Indonesian dishes when I stayed in The Netherlands). It's halved by knife as the contour is flat. I've never split Kenitu like that. Usually I just open it by hand. I think it's more natural just like on the picture. Used to, I also ate directly with my teeth without eating it by any spoon. It was so exotic hohoho...

So, wanna try Chrysophyllum Cainito? Come to my place! It's the season now. Oh ja, even tough the tree is in the back of my house, sadly I should mention that it's not belong to my family. It's belong to the landlord. one kid of my neighbor thought that it's belong to my family. Last time, the young boy asked Kenitu to my mom but my mom mentioned that it's not belong to her. Even tough like that, he still took it. Many! But ja, if we eat one or two, it's ok. Ehehehe... What about one or two often? God knows! Lol.
And then, talking about how my mom got it, she took it there, of course. When I mentioned that it's not belong to us, she made an excuse that she swaps rubbish around the tree or in other word, she makes the place neat hahaha... Well, I just ate it without any comment. If you want it from me without fear to go to the hell as it's a "stolen fruit", I can ask to the landlord for one or two. I believe they always mention, "Just take it as you want." Ohohoho... The fact, the landlord indeed doesn't take care the Kenitu tree except coconut trees.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I live in kuala lumpur but originally from Trinidad & Tobago
    In the west indies. My wife was craving for some Caimete. Thats what we call it in the Caribbean. We grew up eating this most delicious fruit that we also have in our back yard in Trinidad. Now that I know the indonisian name for it, I can look in the market for it. Visually, I never saw any, but maybe I will be able to get some for my love.
    Terima kasih

    ReplyDelete