LEAHISM

What I see. What I hear. What I feel. What I do.

Welkom! Welcome! Selamat Datang!

Ik aanbiden deze blog in het Nederlands, Engels en Indonesisch. Ik hoop dat jij geniet ervan.

I serve this blog in Dutch, English, and Indonesian. I hope you enjoy it.

Aku menyuguhkan blog ini dalam Bahasa Belanda, Bahasa Inggris, dan Bahasa Indonesia.
Aku harap kamu menikmatinya.

Barbecue or Barbeque?

Yesterday I wrote "barbeque" on my facebook. And then one of my friend corrected my "barbeque" by writing "berbeque" plus laughing. Then, I talked to myself, "Uh-oh. Again. I make a mistake in my English." Then, I check it on Google Translate, the correct one is "barbecue". Hohoho... My friend and I are both wrong. Then, I told to my Boyf that I wrote wrong for "barbecue". He answered, "Oh ja?" Then I asked him to spell "barbecue" on his own knowledge. He spelled in Dutch (as we spoke in Dutch at that time) "b.e.r.b.e.q.u.e." I said, you were wrong. Then I laugh and spelled "b.a.r.b.e.c.u.e.". He just surprised, "Oh ja?". "Plus it's also in Dutch. Barbecue. Just like English." Without my notice seems he checked it too on his mobile, "Ja... You are right."

My curious doesn't stop yet. I checked on Wikipedia. It's written "barbecue" or "barbeque" for common spelling variant. According to Wiki.Answer, it's said:
The spelling barbeque with - que at the end comes from combining the standard spelling barbecue with the abbreviation Bar-B-Q, and from spelling as you speak. Though listed as an alternative in some dictionaries, barbeque is best avoided.
Meanwhile, according to Oxford Dictionaries, it's said that "barbecue" is often misspelled as "barbeque".
This form arises understandably from the word's pronunciation and from the informal abbreviations BBQ and Bar-B-Q. Although almost a quarter of citations in the Oxford English Corpus are for the-que spelling, it is not accepted in standard English.

So, barbeque is completely wrong. Lets barbecue then!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment